Monday, November 14, 2011

Monday Blue Jays Notebook

     I have a hunch the Red Sox will hire Dale Sveum as their next manager, and the highly respected Torey Lovullo will stay with the Blue Jays in a coaching capacity. I would expect Sal Fasano to return as manager of the Double-A Fisher Cats, though the Blue Jays and Sal himself tell me nothing has been finalized. The New Hampshire club does need a new pitching coach since Pete Walker will be the Jays' bullpen coach in 2012. Perhaps Tom Signore returns to Double-A to guide the Jays' top prospects. "Siggy" did excellent work with Kyle Drabek, Luis Perez, Marc Rzepczynski and others in 2010.


     Elite prospect Drew Hutchison is working out four days per week at Toronto's minor-league complex in Dunedin, Fla. Asked about one area of improvement for Hutch in 2012, he said, "Just try to get my slider more consistent every time out."


Drew Hutchison made a big impression at Double-A, going 3-0 (1.20 ERA) with 21 strikeouts and two walks. MiLB photo


      Southpaw reliever Frank Gailey, who held lefty batters to a .131 average at Single-A, continues to work on his bread-and-butter: swooping breaking balls and sneaky fastballs from a lower arm slot. "To me, that's the one thing I'm working on, a lower-arm slot. I have to learn it able be able to throw all my pitches from there, anytime, for strikes and prove I'm the guy to put in there in all key situations," Gailey said.


     RHP Nestor Molina looks to crack the Toronto rotation. He will. Full disclosure: love this kid. His stuff is electric. Great personality. Positive influence on everyone around him. And you know what else? He always says "Thank you for the interview" after talking with him. 


     "I'm going to try and do my best. Not going to change anything and work hard and try to get my best pitches. I don't think I need to change anything because I had a good season last year doing my things," said Molina, whose numbers were ridiculous at AA: 1 ER through 22 IP, 33K, 2W.



5 comments:

NorthYorkJays said...

When you speculate Nestor Molina will make the rotation, do you mean coming out of camp in 2012 or somewhere down the road? There's nothing I like more than a pitcher with impeccable control so if he can translate that to the big leagues and not be Josh Towers we may have a winner on our hands.

Marc Major said...

Molina will need more seasoning. I would guess a mid season call up.

Kevin Gray said...

Would not surprise me if he made the big-league team out of spring training. However, the more likely scenario is having Molina ease into the season at AA, then be promoted directly to Toronto at midseason.

Mylegacy said...

Kevin

How do you compare Hutchison and Molina? Is Molina clearly better? Hutchison seems SO GOOD it's hard to believe someone could actually be a better prospect. WOW!

Just looking at the really high end pitching prospects like those two guys PLUS; Nicolini, Syndergaard, Cardona, Osuna, Norris, Comer, Stilson, Musgrove, Sanchez and at least a half a dozen others you guys at AA are going to see one whole big pile of great pitching over the next four of five years!

Great time to be following the team in New Hampshire!

Kevin Gray said...

I think Nestor has a higher ceiling based on stuff. The Jays rave about his raw power and devastating split-fingered fastball. But, you are right, Hutch raised the bar as far as expectations. Excellent command and changeup!